May 20, 2017
Norse completes sweep of Golden Grizzlies, 7-6
ROCHESTER, Mich. – Northern Kentucky baseball wrapped up the regular season with a 7-6 victory over Oakland, sweeping the weekend series with the Golden Grizzlies as well as winning all five regular-season meetings with the Horizon League foe. NKU enters the postseason with a 24-31 overall record and earned the No. 3 seed in the Horizon League Tournament after going 17-13 in League games. Oakland drops to 15-38 (11-19 HL).
At the Plate
· The Norse had the edge in hitting over Oakland, 11-8, with four batters posting multi-hit outings.
· Chad Roberts went 2-for-4 with four RBI, matching his season best while also scoring two runs of his own.
· Conor Ledger also went 2-for-4, while TJ Alas and Trey Ganns went 2-for-5 from the plate.
On the Mound
· Brody Basilone pitched the first three innings for NKU, allowing five runs on four hits with six batters walked.
· Seth Rosenberg earned his first win with two innings of work, with one run scored on three hits and a walk.
· Joe Martin had five strikeouts in the final four innings, holding Oakland to just one hit en route to picking up his first save of the season.
· Oakland went up early with two runs in the first inning thanks to an RBI single and a bases-loaded walk.
· With two outs in the third, Roberts blasted a three-run homer to give NKU the 3-2 edge, but the Golden Grizzlies retaliated with three runs of their own.
· Griffin Green led the fifth inning off with a solo home run for his first career homer, but once again, Oakland matched NKU’s run count in the frame to jump back out to a 6-4 lead.
· The Norse held Oakland scoreless for the remainder of the contest, scoring in the sixth, eighth and ninth. Roberts and Ganns had back-to-back doubles to kick off the eighth inning to knot the score at 6-6 before Roberts had a sac fly to score Will Haueter on the winning run.
· Alas extended his hitting streak to 16 games and has reached base in the past 46 contests.
· With one run scored, Richmond continues to lead the Horizon League in the category with his 51st run of the season.
· Over the course of the past three games, NKU batted .302 with Conor Ledger, Dominic Mercurio and Ganns all batting above .417. Ganns and Roberts both drove in five runs, while Ganns also led the team with five runs scored.
· The Norse end the Horizon League slate on a seven-game winning streak, winning five against Oakland and two against Youngstown State. In those seven games, NKU batted .326 led by Ganns with a .464 clip and .857 slugging percentage while driving in 12 runs and scoring 10. On the mound, Martin posted a 1.23 ERA throughout three appearances and 7.1 innings pitched, holding teams to .154 from the plate.
· With a 5-2 win over Wright State, UIC clinched hosting rights for the Horizon League Tournament, which will run Wednesday-Saturday, May 24-27. NKU has earned the No. 3 seed and will play No. 6 seed Milwaukee at 4 p.m. on May 24. The loser will be eliminated from the tournament, while the winner moves on to the double elimination portion of the bracket. Should NKU win, it will be the highest remaining seed and will play No. 2 seed Wright State at 3 p.m. on May 25.